Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tie Dye or Rainbow?

I found some pictures online the other day of what were called 'Neon Rainbow Cupcakes'. As soon as I saw the picture I knew I had to try it. And it was surprisingly easy!


Step 1: Using a white cake mix follow the instructions on the box in preparing the batter.
Step 2: Seperate the batter into 6 equal (or as equal as you can get them) parts.
Step 3: Using GEL icing dye, dye each part a different color (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple <- and to be honest the red was more of a neon pink). I read that using the GEL colors makes it more vibrant, but I'm sure that you can use just regular food coloring as well.
Step 4: put 1/2-3/4 of a tablespoon of one of the batters into each cupcake liner. Follow with additional colors. No need to swirl together, just let it fall in and land as it will.
Step 5: Bake as per box directions.
Step 6: decorate with icing & sprinkles if you want to!
Step 7: ENJOY!

I think one of the greatest things about these cupcakes is that each one is unique. Some have more of a color than another, and some have crazy patterns. This recipe can also be used for a cake as well. Just imagine the surprise when someone cuts into a plainly iced cake.



So there you have it. TIE DYE Cupcakes. (I think that suits it more than rainbow, what do you think?)

2 comments:

  1. Cute! I did a similar one for Leela's birthday this summer. I did one with a cake and another with cupcakes. The kids loved it!
    http://pozzifam.blogspot.com/2010/06/leelas-four.html

    ReplyDelete