Monday, January 17, 2011

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!

It is nice and snowy in Alberta right now. Not so much down here in southern Alberta. Apparently up north is a winter wonderland! In honor of the snow, here are some cute cupcakes that I made! Plus I used my cricut for the first time. YAY! I decided to start simple. We'll work up to some more intricate designs that have more levels eventually.

The first cut! Seriously, so exciting. I used the frosting sheets that you can buy specifically designed for the cricut. Not 100% sure how I feel about them, but I'll have to try out gum paste and fondant to find which I prefer. They did work though, and that is all that matters!

Aren't they cute?
(Please note my attempt to be artsy by actually placing the cupcakes in the snowbank outside...)

I made an Angel Food Cupcake. I had no idea you could make Angel Food in cupcake form. They were quite tasty! Here is the recipe;

Angel Food Cupcakes

1 1/4 C. All purpose flour
1 1/2 C. sugar
12 egg whites from large eggs (enough for 1 1/2 C.)
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl and beat at high speed until frothy (approx. 1 min. - I did 2). Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla. Mix at high speed until almost till almost stiff (approx. 4 min.). Add 1 C. sugar gradually while mixing on low speed. Scrape bowl. Mix flour and the remaining sugar together in a separate bowl. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture over the egg whites, and fold gently between each addition. Pour batter into cupcake liners until they are 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden brown and cracks are very dry. Cool completely prior to removing from pan.

Now I also used a vanilla buttercream icing (a Martha Stewart recipe) which in my opinion was way too sweet. I even left out 2 cups of the powdered sugar the recipe called for. Can we say sugar coma??? But you can use any icing on top of these cupcakes.

Yum. Angel Food...... : )

1 comment:

  1. super cute and very cool that you can use a cricut for cake decorating!!!!!

    ReplyDelete