Monday, May 2, 2011

Wedding Cake #5

When I first made my friend Chrissy's wedding cake, I never would have dreamed that I would continue making other wedding cakes. But here it is #5!

A friend from high school recently contacted me asking if I would be willing and able to make her wedding cake. I'm all over getting some more practice in, because really, deep down, this is what I would love to do with my life (however without formal training it's quite difficult, so I'll take what I can!). 

It started the same way that I've started any wedding cake (or cake for that matter) with lots of questions. What flavor? Do you like fondant? Color scheme? Do you have pictures of what you are thinking of? etc. She sent on a few different pictures pointing out what she liked from each cake. At first, I will admit I was a little skeptical about what this cake was going to look like. It had quite a few different elements going on that I wasn't sure how they would blend together.

Here is the general idea of what the cake was going to look like. The top tier and the bottom tier were going to have the same pattern on them, preferably swirls or the like. The middle tier was going to be covered in vertical stripes. The 3 tiers were all going to be different heights as well, with the middle tier being the tallest. The cake was going to be covered in a faux fondant finish (so smooth buttercream) in white, with the patterns being white as well. There was to be green ribbon on it, and I don't even know how to describe it, other than to look like a present. However, once you see the pictures you'll know that is the worst description ever. At the corner where the ribbon intersected the bride had asked for some bling. As for a cake topper, it was going to be a be-dazzled 'D', which the bride was responsible for finding. The cake also had to serve 60 people.

Now typically wedding cake slices are quite small, yet the bride asked that the cake be able to cut larger and still provide enough for 60 people, since her family was a big fan of sweets. The sizes that I chose ended up being, 5 inch top tier, 7 inch middle tier, and 10 inch bottom tier. With the height of the tiers, this cake could serve up to 115 people with the typical wedding cake slice.

A week before the wedding, the bride contacted me saying now the cake had to serve 80, and I assured her, that there would be plenty of cake, as well, the cake topper was now some flowers and giant rhinestones that her sister was providing, and they would be waiting at the venue for me to place on the cake. So now I had a patterned white on white cake, with green ribbon doing a criss-cross thing, bling, and some flowers on top. Again, I was getting worried about what this cake was going to look like when it was all done.

I was pleasantly surprised and proud of this cake when it was all done. Despite some trials along the way, including my sister sitting in the back watching the cake (we had stacked it before we left the house for the venue) making pained noises and small cries of worry everytime we hit the tiniest bump. Love you Mandy!

So here are the long awaited pictures after my ramble.... I hope you like them!

The middle tier
Close up 

                             
Yummy Layers

Finished product

Sorry for the weird long row of pictures. I couldn't figure out how to make them side by side! : )

And I will say the best part of making a wedding cake, 
is having the bride love it.... 
and she did!

3 comments:

  1. so what kind of cake? Pound cake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. =) I DID love it Tiffany! And just so you know ... there was PLENTY of cake to feed 80...actually probably could have fed 100 people! But there was also catered desserts AND a candy table for guests. Can you tell I have a sweet tooth ?! lol

    It turned out beautifully and was very yummy. I know there wasn't the clearest idea of how it would turn out, but I think we put our brains together and your talent made it elegant and sweet!

    Thanks again
    Deanna =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liesel, it was a vanilla bean cake with vanilla buttercream icing.

    Deanna, again, I am soooo happy you loved it and that there was plenty!!! :) Thanks for the opportunity to work on my skills. I'm very proud of this cake. I think it looked beautiful. Your ideas worked!

    ReplyDelete