Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Happy Birthday!

February is the month for Birthdays! I have multiple friends with February birthdays, and my sister has a February birthday, and then there's me. Now, I did not make this cake to celebrate my birthday. (I refuse to make my own birthday cake, which is why after moving to a new city last year and not knowing anyone I didn't have a birthday cake, this was remedied this year as my parents moved closer. Mom always looks out for me!) Now one of the perks of being a friend of mine (and living close to me), is that I like to bake something special for your birthday. At least I feel it's a perk. : ) However the day I make something incredibly disgusting I promise I will no longer refer to it as a perk. My dear friend Chelsea celebrates her birthday 3 days prior to mine, and a cake was definitely in order. It also gave me a chance to practice more with the Cricut!



Cute huh? The party hats around the edge kind of look like sailboats to me, but I'm still happy with it. I did learn that fondant is a little stubborn in the Cricut. After making this cake I looked up some tips and discovered that adding some gum-tex to the fondant will help, so that is some good knowledge for the next cake! I also used Duff Cake Tattoos, which is how I got the cute pattern on the party hats, and the perfect yellow polka-dot circle on top. They are really easy to use, and next time I use them I may use them the correct way to cover the edge of the cake instead of cutting them, but we shall see. Also, I really wanted to have a nice smooth icing, but lack of time, kind of didn't allow for that. I got it pretty good though, so I'm not too upset with it.

Now, this is my personal favorite picture. I had taken the cake over quite late, so it was not consumed the day of the actual birthday but set aside for the next day. This is how the cake was discovered. Chelsea's 4 year old helped himself to the breakfast of champions!

Pictures by Chelsea Belle Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment